Monday, May 17, 2010

Jack Brooks Monster Slayer Review

Jack Brooks Monster Slayer

I’ve seen a lot of bad movies, and I’ve reviewed some of the worst horror films on this blog. However, none of them have been more pretentious, than this one. Jack Brooks: Monster Hunter was recommended to me by a lot of different people, and I thought it was finally time to watch it. I figured, since Robert Englund was in it, it can’t be bad. However, it turns out that it’s actually not that great, and while there are some classic sci-fi, rubber suit monster moments, there is a lack of, I don’t know, good acting, to make it worth while.

Jack Brooks Monster Slayer stars Trevor Matthews, and it’s terrible. He has a fake beard or a bad make up. The movie starts with some of the worst rubber suit monster effects, and it just doesn’t work for me. I knew I was in for a bad movie, and well…it sure kept going from bad to worse.

Robert Englund plays a science teacher in this film, so there is a bit of nostalgia involved with seeing him outside of the Nightmare on Elm Street series. He turns into a monster, and rivals “The Faculty” in some ways, but not with the same budget at all.

The story is cut and dry, a teenager with a beard becomes a monster slayer. That’s it. I know there are a few things that can be seen as highlights, including gore, and latex effects, but it just doesn’t hold well.

I got tired of the film, and while I made it through the whole thing, I just couldn’t find enough gusto to recommend this thing.

It’s not even worth asking if it’s scary.

The soundtrack is interesting, as it was made with a 93 piece symphony orchestra, and the visual quality is higher than average. However, good sound, great visuals, and bad acting don’t equal quality filmmaking. The poster evokes such high spirit, and yet, the delivery is not quite there.

No comments:

Post a Comment