Friday, February 4, 2011

Shredder Review

shredder

Shredder is a movie that caught my eye because of the artwork. The artwork made me think about my days at the hell hole of a job that laid me off and put my career into a spiral, or rather, completely backed out on their end of the deal. I had some options, and they promised not to fire me if I would stay long term, well, they screwed me and fired me. Screw them.

This movie has a simple premise, it is about a skier that is killing off anyone that comes to the mountains to snowboard. The film opens up with a decapitation, and we move forward with your standard slasher fare. A group of young adults are going to a remote mountain to snowboard on some powder, and they encounter this killer, or killers as we'll find out.

The acting is sub par, the editing is horrendous, but there are some great snowboard sequences. It's interesting how good the snowboarders are in this film, and that is one of the better parts of the film. The plot moves forward quickly and the deaths start coming after some sexual tension between the young adults. The most notable actor, and I don't remember his name, nor do I want to look it up, played DJ's boyfriend Steve in the show "Full House". He doesn't do a great job.

I noticed that there were no black or Mexican actors, and that made me want to say something about how racist this film was, but then I remembered, the brown man and the black man don't snowboard! Excuse my racism, I can only speak about the brown man, since I am one, and let's just say I don't do well in the cold.

Oh right, back to the movie, Shredder moves fast to slaying each person and it's done in interesting manner, for at least a couple of them. There isn't much gore involved until the third act in which we get a ton of corn syrup all over the place, and it's done in quite a creative way, soaking through the floorboards and dripping across several places. While the characters try to figure out what's going on, we get several red herring's and when the final showdown occurs, it only proves that there's more to this story than meets the eye.

This slasher film has everything you'd expect from slasher films coming from the 1980's. You'll notice that this film does everything that the genre would require of it, including showing off some skin in the shower, and a sex scene in a hot tub. You get a taste of a lot of different things, sprinkled with some sick gore, and a great final fight which makes the wood chipper scene in Fargo look really tame.

I wouldn't recommend Shredder to most people, and could actually live without it. I didn't find it to be as great as some of the other films I've seen in the genre, but as a quick romp through modern slasher cinema, it works. It looks better than your average straight to dvd film, the acting is horrendous, but the quality snowboarding sequences and closing moments makes for an ok film to watch when you're really bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment