Tuesday, March 6, 2012

From A Whisper To A Scream Review


Anthology horror is not exactly my favorite of genres, but they seem to be worth checking out from time to time. It seems as though the guys from Tales From The Crypt do it best. Then again, The Twilight Zone and Tales From The Darkside seemed to impress a great deal of audience members. From A Whisper to A Scream is an interesting piece of film making, if only to see a haggard and old Vincent Price tell some tales of the macabre.

The movie has four different stories that deal with the human emotion, and it is all tied together by Vincent Price, who plays a millionaire that is talking to a reporter. The report goes on to get revenge in the end, but he tells four cautionary tales, each one with a mix of nudity, gore, and revenge. I found the stories releatively interesting, although they are quick to climax, and end up being a bit lackluster when you think about them all together.

The opening story is by far my favorite, which involves some gruesome attacks and a ghost/zombie style revenge. A local man strangles a woman in a bath tub, and then gets upset over some blue balls, and we get some insane paranoia that is worth noting. Aside from the madness that is found in this story, the other ones are relatively tame, at least in the connection to human experience. I may be wrong though, but the first story is hardcore.

I do like the children’s story of sorts towards the end. The idea that children are going to take over and kill adults is always fascinating, but not as fascinating as that Spanish film I saw where that one dude was teeing off on kids full blast, remember that? Yeah, I don’t really remember either. Actually, it was called "Who Can Kill A Child" and I reviewed it in August of last year. Vincent Price hated this film, I don't hate it that much, but if I hate him, and he hates this film? Where do I stand?

1 comment:

  1. jervaise brooke hamsterMarch 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM

    I used to think Vincent Price was British, it was such a relief to find out that he was American.

    ReplyDelete