Saturday, September 22, 2012

5 Horror Movies made into NES Games

Did you ever play the original Nintendo 8 Bit system? I spent day and night playing it. When I wasn’t in school, I was playing the games. You see, I was raised in rough areas in Los Angeles, and the safest thing to do was to stay inside and play video games. That felt right for me, since I was a very introverted person for many years. Looking back some of the games were good, some of them were terrible, but they are still a part of the horror and scary film genre in one way or another. So here we go, 5 horror movies made into NES games, and let me tell you, they weren’t exactly good.





Jaws – Jaws was a pretty scary movie when it came out, but what about a game based on it? Well, what you got was a boring romp colleting treasure and shooting down the giant shark, and that’s about it. It’s one of the worst games to play, but still worth owning to complete your NES game collection.





A Nightmare on Elm Street – Your small player has to go around trying to collect Freddy’s Bones and try to stay awake while doing it. It’s a hard game to master, but if you can get all the bones, you get to Freddy himself and the game really takes off. Some people hate it, I find it interesting, you should play it for yourself to find out what you think.





Friday the 13th – Now this game is my personal favorite to play. The game allows you to go to several cabins and light fireplaces, but after all that, you get to fight Jason in a very cool 3D rendered scenario. You also get to fight his mom, whom is a floating head in the dark forest. I like this game, many people hate on it.





Bram Stoker’s Dracula – Bram Stoker’s Dracula came to the NES system in the form of an awkward plat former. It’s adequate in its gameplay, dark in the tones, and pretty cool overall. You’ll find a lot of action here, even if it is a bit of a departure from the movie.





Total Recall – Ok, this is not a horror movie, but it was one of the adaptations that I’m reminded of right now, and it wasn’t half bad. Sure, Arnold’s character had a big head, and the timing takes some time to get used to, but overall, this game packs a great punch for those that were looking to get some fun on the NES system. I for one like it, and while most will ignore me, some might end up getting it and getting back to their nes roots.

Remember to leave a comment, to be entered to win a KINDLE FIRE 2. The winner will be announced at the end of the month.

3 comments:

  1. I'm one of the few who love to play Friday the 13th but like most NES games it suffers from the fact that you can't save. Usually making it difficult for me to beat it.

    Anyways great list, makes me nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought they would make video game versions of these movies. If I remember it correctly, there was a hubbub around the mid 1980s that movies were becoming too gory and violent (e.g. Robocop). Then again, I was checking out images from the Friday the 13th game. It looked too bright and cheerful to be scary for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaws was actually a fun game. A bit easy and repetitive, but fun.

    ReplyDelete