Monday, December 6, 2021

Python Review

Python DVD

One of my favorite genres of horror is the horror comedy. When it’s done right, it can be a captivating piece of cinema. Done wrong, and it can be a labor to get through. I first caught “Python” advertised online and didn’t think much of it, so it took me a long time to finally sit down and watch it. This is a made for television movie, that has a small following on dvd. 

An airplane carrying a large box is disrupted when the crew decides to open a crate. That crate holds an enormous monster, but of course we don’t see the monster at first. The opening is tense, I give it that, and then the movie slows down to a crawl, before we start to figure out that there’s an experimental serpent like creature on the loose. Through the course of the film, we are treated to some terrible CGI, and some interesting plot points that have nothing to do with the snake. In fact, the subplot will have you laughing, especially the focus on mountain bike riding. 

William Zabka, Casper Van Dien, Robert Englund, Wil Wheaton, and others cannot save this movie from being a boredom fest for 99 minutes. There are few redeeming factors found in this one, and something that I hate having to say. But why did I watch the whole thing? Curiosity, especially to see the deaths of so many unlikable characters. 

Here’s the thing, “Python” is not a highly recommended film, but it’s a guilty pleasure. Zabka and Englund are my two main reasons to rewatch this one, and the creature is insane, with modern day “creature feature” written all over it. I’ve seen worse. I don’t think a lot of people are going to love this one, but as far as a snake movie, I give it a mediocre rating, three out of five stars. It doesn’t pretend to be more than it is, and it certainly leaves you feeling good at various points, especially with Robert Englund and Zabka doing the heavy lifting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment