Wednesday, April 15, 2009

From the Mail Bag Mid April 09 Edition

This time around I answer your comments, questions and emails. Nothing too fancy here just a mid month post to see where we are at in terms of horror reviews, news and things. It's all about your comments, so if you didn't comment, you aren't getting an answer or follow up. So if you read this site, and are out there, go ahead and email, comment, and keep coming back. Oh and please patronize our sponsors, so that I can keep buying, renting and reviewing horror movies and the likes. Maybe one day I can make enough to buy a real dot com! Oh well, I'll try my best.

the posturing (and admittedly rather irritating) little popinjay said in response to The Midnight Meat Train Review:

midnite meat train is undoubtedly one of the best horror films of recent years, but vinnie jones is a load of old rubbish simply because he is british.

Yeah, Vinnie Jones isn't the greatest actor in the world, but it wasn't half bad. I liked him here, he didn't have to say much, he just had to be brutal. The ending of the film really got weird, but the build up was stellar and the gore effects were intense for a cg addition. I liked it a lot, and you're right it's the best horror movie to come out in recent years, and it's a shame more people didn't know about it.

the sneering (homo-phobic) snob said in response to The Curse of the Werewolf Review:

i just remember the gorgeous chick with the massive knockers, she was breathtaking.

Ah yes, there's something wonderful about the women of the 60's. The body types were different, the mood was different and the breasts were real. It's one of my favorite eras of female form. Sure it wasn't the most open minded era, but the women were so pretty, at least to me. I'm weird I guess. So yeah, you got the right idea.

Rick Swift said in response to The Strangers Review:

Good review, bad movie. I was going to do my own review of this one, as I rented it via Netflix - but, like you said, after it was over I was just kind of glad it was over. The decision to never unmask the killers seemed good on paper, but in reality it fell kind of flat. The killers weren't interesting really, and I like my evil characters to have more form personally. Also, I was so amped to see this movie because of the BOATS lure - serves me right for relishing in others misery.

You're right, this film wasn't that great. The killers had little to no personality, and while the movie did have an element of torture to it, it seemed to lack humanity. I know, we're dealing with horror here, but a little humanity goes a long way in these types of movies. I'd cite the movie "Vacancy" or "P2" for injecting a little humanity into the film to allow for the killer to have a vapid sense about himself. Although, one might argue that too much humanity is a killer which is why some people hated "High Tension" so much. All in all, bad movie, and I thank you kindly for enjoying the review and complimenting it. I don't think highly of my reviews, I just feel they are extremely amateur, so a compliment goes a long way. Thank you.

Anonymous said in response to Against the Dark Review:

Not a great movie. Was Steven even in this one; seems like he played a minor supporting part with minimal character development. It was a bad knock off of 28 days later. Very few redeeming qualities.

I dare you to disagree.... "We are here to decide who lives and dies.......... I am going hunting.."


Yeah, Steven was producer and was barely in this film. I don't know what was going on, but yeah he played a minor role in the film and was featured in the marketing and box cover. It was a bad knock off in many different ways, and yes the few redeeming qualities are the only reasons why anyone should even try watching this one. It was nice to see a mix of Kung Fu and horror though, not since Hammer Horror's late 70's attempt at horror do I remember the two mixing.

So that cleans that up. I encourage all readers to leave me comments, news, information and just anything. I spend a lot of time writing on this site and watching movies, but each comment is read and most of the time commented back on the same page. Sometimes I get caught up with other things and rely on posts like this every month to talk about them. Thanks again for those of you that commented, and please come back again soon. I'll have some more interesting horror reviews coming this week and Monday. Including one that features a "puppet" of sorts. Stay tuned for sure.

Looking for grindhouse, horror, or sci-fi films? Please check out our amazon astore featuring all things horror. Don't trust astore? Check out amazon.com, surprisingly they have more grindhouse,horror,and rare sci-fi than you may not have thought possible.

1 comment:

  1. woa, sorry on that one. I missed it. Alright, well Vinnie Jones can take it on the chin. Got it.

    ReplyDelete