Friday, September 16, 2022

The Shining Review

The Shining Movie Poster

“The Shining” is one of my favorite books. I loved the characters that Stephen King put together, and the flow of the novel, and ending was great. There’s a lot of tension built into the book, and it is not like the movie. In fact, from what I’ve read, King though the movie was not as good as the book and took too many liberties. That caused friction to the point where King had a mini-series made that was closer to the books more dramatic moments.

There’s not much more that can be said about the movie that hasn’t been said already, but then again, the point of blogging about cinema is not always so cut and dry. I am well aware that there’s plenty of reviews of this movie, so what my thoughts are, well, are my own and therefore worth posting right? I don’t know, I’m rambling.

The plot is very simple for The Shining. A hotel requires someone to keep watch over the winter months, and so a family moves in. The movie follows Jack Torrance and his family in a peaceful, serene, isolated location. He’s a writer and he is looking forward to getting to work on his novel, and getting time away from the big city. Through the course of the movie however, he begins to go mad. The hotel has a history, and a tragic past, leading to the hotel to be haunted with the past. This causes Jack to go nuts, and try to kill his family.

Jack Nicholson puts on one hell of a performance in this movie, making it one hell of a visual throughout. He really resonates on screen, and Shelley Duvall does great as Wendy. I found myself glued to the screen, even though I’ve seen this movie many times over. Stanley Kubrick’s direction is great too, pushing the cinematic scope to the limits, making every shot, and visual design flow look perfect. There’s great cinematography on this one, and it has stellar sound to boot.

“The Shining” can be a little slow for some, but the way that it is presented, and the overall story captures the imagination and doesn’t let go. It’s a solid movie that deserves the praise it gets, and is definitely worth your time if you haven’t seen it in a while. I highly recommend it.

Check out The Shining on Blu Ray by clicking here, or stream it, I don’t care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment