Monday, September 5, 2022

Orphan: First Kill Review

Orphan First Kill Movie Poster

I reviewed “Orphan” a while ago, and I did not see the sequel right away. I saw that it came out, but I didn’t know when I would be watching it, until now. I finally sat down to check it out, and while the original had a twist to get me, this time around we knew that there was something wrong with the main character. That may have been the main reason why the first got me, while this one seemed to tread water at times.

The plot of “Orphan: First Kill” focuses on a young child that is really an adult. We know this from the first film, and while she is locked up in a mental institution, she learns how to escape and gets moving forward with a new plot. She poses as a lost girl and gets united with a couple in the United States. She poses as Esther, and the parents in the United States assume it was their lost child. This of course proves disastrous as the story unfolds and they find out that Esther is more than meets the eye, and is really a grown woman.

The movie starts swiftly, and doesn’t really hold up at first. You get thrown into the situation that would lend itself to the rest of the film with ease, and there’s some disturbing moments. The body count begins fast, and that’s one thing to appreciate with this movie, it pulls no punches to start. However, it pumps the brakes and slows down some, causing some sort of break in communication. I found myself a little bored in the middle, with the slow moving process of Esther getting to know her family and the family having doubts that it’s really her to begin with. As the movie progresses, however, the tension starts to really pull you in, and the third act really brings about some strong horror elements.

Overall “Orphan: First Kill” lacks the secret weapon of the first movie. The first movie held that secret and was well paced, delivering interesting moments, and sub plot to allow you to really get hooked. This one, knowing the premise already, really hurts it, and causes you to second guess the need for the movie to begin with. That aside, it is a strong horror movie with thriller elements, and really pushes some buttons towards the end. While it is a good enough movie, I don’t think it is as good as the first release, and it really does seem too slow at times. I didn’t hate the movie, don’t get me wrong, I just felt that it was missing something, or really just didn’t do the original justice, at least not like I expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment