Monday, January 5, 2015

5 Recent Horror Movies You Should Go Back and Watch Again

I’m a lazy horror movie fan. I don’t always see everything that comes out, and that’s sad. I’m working on changing that for this year, however, and am pushing through a lot of different recent movies. To start off the New Year, and get more interests in what I’m doing, I wanted to drop a quick top 5 of sorts. This will get you jazzed about movies that came out recently, and are worth taking another look back, no matter what anyone of your idiot friends says. Here are my 5 recent horror movies you should go back and look at again.

 Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D

When this came out, I went to the cinemaplex to see it. I saw it with a lot of “urban” youth, and it was a fascinating experience. I saw a lot of horror movie sites trashing the movie, and even though I didn’t initially think it was grand, I went back and saw it, and you know what? It’s worth it. The movie flows fast, and the fact that Trey Songz gets it, is definitely worth looking into. I love the franchise, even the missteps, and this was a good one for me, so why not? Go back and see it again, it has some stellar points and some laughable moments, but that’s what you expect with horror right? It’s hit or miss. It's not as good as my personal favorites, the 90s update and of course part 2, but hey, it will have to do as a modern representation of the horror genre. It's fast paced, it has gore, it's clever, and people get mopped up. I liked it.

John Dies At The End

This movie is insane. It’s beyond insane, and the book it’s based on is somewhat better from what I read. I loved this one, and the idea of channeling all sorts of baddies ala “Phantasm 2” is something worth checking out. The budget was slim here, but the actors that show up definitely do it justice, and it’s an out of this world horror romp that is equal parts noir film, horror film, and thriller. It’s “fun”, that’s all you need to remember about this one. If it had more money, it may not have been so good, if you ask me.

The Evil Dead

I didn’t like it at first. I went back, and you know what? It’s fun. It’s a fun revamping of an old movie and it’s done right. I like the forward progression of horror as time goes through the film, and it’s one franchise that I didn’t mind getting into again. I like the idea, I like the original, and this option definitely works well again. I didn’t think that it was grand the first time around, but that’s because I’m an idiot.

The Conjuring

My fiancĂ©e loved this one. I think I took my sister to see it too, I don’t remember. This haunting movie is based on a true story, or at least some books and ideas from the Warren clan. Ed and Lorraine Warren were demonologists, and exorcists that somehow found a way to conjure up all kinds of scares through their work. I found it interesting enough, and at first glance it didn’t catch my attention, but now that I’ve had time to rewatch it, I can say that it’s absolutely worth checking out one more time. It’s creepy as hell, especially that doll….although it’s far more over the top at times than I’d hoped for.

We Are What We Are

A slow moving troll of a movie, but when it’s all said and done, it leaves you unsettled. The cannibalism and sexualized elements found in this movie stick with you long after you see it. I haven’t really thought about it past my review, but you know what? It’s still a good flick. It hit under the radar and has a lot to offer in terms of horror, gore, and drama.

There you have it, 5 movies that you should revisit that are recent and should definitely give you a few jump scares worth noting. If you’re going to scare yourself with these movies, pick them up through Amazon here, and help a brotha out on this site. If you shop there, and you go through the pages that I recommend, they give me a kick back, which isn’t much, but it would help me get more horror movies.

Looking for grindhouse, horror, or sci-fi films? Please check out our amazon astore featuring all things horror. Don't trust astore? Check out amazon.com, surprisingly they have more grindhouse,horror,and rare sci-fi than you may not have thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment