Thursday, October 27, 2011

Marshmallow Ghosts - Corpse Reviver no.2 Review



On a recent chilly October night, after putting my reviews on hold for too long, I decided to give ‘The Marshmallow Ghosts - Corpse Reviver No.2’ a shot.

Now, granted, I had never listened to them before, nor did I know anything about them. Which makes this all the more genuine of a review in my opinion.

Side “A” is a CD of the eerie and mellow music that I personally enjoyed while cruising the city streets of LA late at night. I am personally fond of “The Hearse Song” - which reminds me of singing the childhood rhyme for “the worms crawl in . . . “

Side “B” is a full-length music video collection of the songs found on side “A”. This starts out with a young girl taken for a tour in a hearse around the seemingly small town and is told ghost stories by the driver. Each story at the end pans into one of the dark and beautifully done music videos.

I was not too fond of the dialogue with the driver and the young girl. The girl was very bland and almost not even noticeable at times. The driver, although I did enjoy his voice in the mic, bumbling around and his somewhat unprepared mannerisms in the hearse did not seem to fit in with the premise of the video. This may have been what they were going for when they made the video, but I did not care for that part.

The videos were amazing and well done. Very dark and nostalgic in the shooting style you see, you will be brought back to another time. There are a few that are comparable to being in an art gallery with animated paintings. The styles vary from early 1970’s horror style all the way back to an art nouveau and Victorian style. Some of which even creeped me out a little bit. The pig man and the girl in the coffin, for example, gave me a genuine case of the willies.

I can definitely say that while The Marshmallow Ghosts may not be on a constant rotation in my mp3 player, they will for certain be a go to when I am hosting my Halloween party or throwing back a bottle of Merlot and searching my darker artsy side.

That is all for now. Thanks for reading.

Dollface

***Bonus Content***

I have to admit, out of all the screeners I've received, I'm going to have to agree with Dollface's review here. The music and visuals found on this cd/dvd combo are incredible. Some of the finer musical tones I've heard in a while, and one of the more ambient and dark musical numbers that I've listened to.

You can find more information via GraveFace Online Here.

Here is a VIDEO for the Track Hearse Song:

No comments:

Post a Comment