Tuesday, November 3, 2015

5 Killer Zombie Movies You Probably Saw But Don’t Remember Much About

I hate zombies.

They give me the creeps.

Ok, that’s not true, I just think that the genre is stale for the most part. While many people will try to argue with me, those people don’t have a blog that has been reviewing horror since 2008, do they? My eyes were burning today, and therefore I decided to call my day early, and this thought crushed my mind, “what are 5 killer zombie movies you would recommend?”, and of course 5 came to mind. Honestly, about 50 came to mind, but I narrowed down the list to just 5 killer zombie movies that you probably saw, but don’t remember, or haven’t seen, or you just want to see because you’re awesome and you want to actually oblige my humble request to buy something via the links provided. Whatever the case is, here are 5 killer zombie movies that you should have seen, should see, or maybe you have forgotten about, as chosen by me, the guy that is still pounding the keyboard like there’s no tomorrow.

Juan of the Dead

This zombie movie came out in 2011, and it’s absolutely a great little gem. It’s a movie that is in Spanish, so it has a soft spot in my mind. The movie is like taking “Shaun of the Dead” and filming it in Cuba. What else can I say? This thing has everything you’d expect from a zombie movie, only done with a Spanish edge. There are a lot of gags here, and some great visual effects. From practical effects to digital elements, there’s a lot to look at here, with some great nods to the classics, and some great elements of new material. The name is funny, the characters are hilarious, and you know? It’s one of those movies that you either saw and loved or you saw and forgot about. It came out in 2011, it’s been a few years, have you seen it? No!? What do you mean no? Maybe it’s on Netflix, I don’t know, I don’t subscribe to the service. Juan of the Dead, it’s a “killer” zombie flick, man.

Cockneys vs. Zombies

This is a personal favorite of mine. It’s another UK zombie film, and has a great amount of humor. Some of the humor is done with “one liners” and some of it is done through physical language. I love the characters, and love how things progress from bad to worse. The old guys in this movie are absolutely wonderful, and make me wish I grow up to be a badass Englishman, instead of a tired old Mexican. It falls through the same tropes that you would expect from a zombie movie, only it has cockney language, and, well, zombies. I don’t know what to say about this one, it’s fun, it’s fast, it’s a grand standing UK gem if you ask me, which you didn’t.

Night Life

This movie came out in 1989 and it was most likely panned. If you didn’t catch this one out, then I’m going to question whether or not you love horror movies or not. This is a horror movie that features a great deal of comedy, and some nice visual effects overall. This movie features a bullied teen, a zombie uprising, a pretty girl, and a fast paced plot. It’s equal parts undead, equal parts sex comedy, equal parts horror movie. Scott Grimes puts on a classic with this one. I don’t see it mentioned much, so here you go, a shot at watching a classic from the close of the 1980s.

Zombie

Ah, the 70s. The 1970s brought on a lot of great movies, and this is one to not miss. Lucio Fulci put on a showcase of all things schlock, gore, and fun with Zombie. This is a part of a series that doesn’t always translate so well. If you’re into Italian horror, then you are going to love the gore here, which has a lot of cool elements. You even get a killer moment where a zombie takes on a shark! The undead here are funny at times, the practical effects are great, and you know what? The Italians can really put on a good horror showcase. Zombie is a great little movie to track down.

Dawn of The Dead (2004)

This remake was absolutely hardcore. It’s bleak, very bleak. It took on a whole new meaning when Zack Snyder took a classic and reworked it. It has gore, it has taboos, and it holds up surprisingly well. This is a fast, gut wrenching movie with a lot of action. It’s speedy, and it doesn’t pull any punches. Just when you think you got this thing all sewn up, you realize that no one is going to get out alive. It’s a sickening, twisted, and dare I say humorous romp. There are some points of contention, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a killer zombie flick that you should go back and watch again. Released in 2004, it has a tremendous amount of gore, and visual design elements to keep you grounded in all things zombie.

There you have it, a collection of 5 zombie movies that you probably saw, forgot about, or just don’t want to revisit. I did. I love them. I love horror, and I’m just going to get back to my queue of movies that I have to watch, because I’m an idiot still writing a blog that no one reads. Woot?!



No comments:

Post a Comment