Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Midnight Movie Review


Ever since I decided to end my relationship with Time Warner Cable and go without cable, I’ve been able to watch far more movies than I can shake a fist at. This movie has been on the shelf for a while, and I only heard about it being available on dvd recently. It first came out in 2008 and it has been ignored by most idiots, like myself, until now. Midnight Movie is an interesting mix of genres and truly delivers on a variety of fronts, including the end.

The movie stars out with a bang, it features a psyche ward and a crazy person being allowed to watch their own movie. When this happens, he disappears and goes into his film and on a rampage….four years later. We catch up with a midnight movie being shown in a small town, and the viewers end up being part of the show, whether they want to or not.

A great deal of genres are mixed in this movie, with the primary one being slasher. There is a killer gutting people and taking them from the real world into the film world. This is done with a cool looking drill piece that is shoved into the stomachs of victims. The main killer seems to just want to kill for the sake of it, until he’s knocked out cold and killed, but then we get to see a second party, and a revival that is quite good.

The movie is a nice paced film that tries hard to make things good on a one million dollar budget. The acting is ok, the cinematography is good, and the music is a good mix of instrumental and rock music. I found that the gore effects were done nicely and effective as well. In fact, I found a lot of things to love in this one, and when the revealing twist happens, I was cheering.

Midnight Movie is a good slasher hybrid with good effects, funny moments, and twists that you may see coming a mile away, but still want to see play out. The ending is bleak, but I won’t spoil it for you. As far as independent horror is concerned, this is one that entertains and delivers a hefty punch. I was surprised yet again at another indie horror film capturing the imagination and ethos of the 1980s with style and lots of substance. Sure there are some downsides, but they are easily overlooked for an impressive film that breaks taboos and pays homage even if it might be inadvertent.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    I too have done away with cable television, and I don't miss it even a little bit. I plugged in a pair of digital rabbit ears which gets me most of the major networks, as well as a couple of fantastic minor networks that I couldn't even pick up when I was paying for cable! Then a small payment for a Roku box, along with the Netflix subscription I already had and a Hulu+ account, and I've got more entertainment than I'll ever have time to be entertained by.

    Just curious, do you have a Hulu+ account? Even if TV shows on demand aren't your bag, the nominal monthly fee is worth it for the commercial-free access to damn near the entire Criterion library.

    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen this movie so i went to check the trailer of it and i most say how the hell i never heard about it! going to buy it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete