Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Woman In Black Review


I’m not a big fan of slow moving movies, you might know that about me, but there are some movies that are worth looking at even if they are slow and prodding. I was hoping that the reviews about this film were not true, and that there was enough of a ghost story to really attract me, but alas, there was a lot of ambiance and then, well, a flutter in the wind before the climax revealed nothing more than another poor attempt to scare the audience.

The Woman in Black was released earlier this year and critics were excited to see that Daniel Radcliffe was in an adult movie that didn’t have anything to do with wizards. I for one thought he did well with the role, even if it wasn’t exactly too trying. Heck, I could’ve done the same role with a lantern and only 28,000 dollars for the performance. Yeah, that’s right, it doesn’t take much to sort through papers and do a little here and there.

The cool part about this movie solely relied on the atmosphere. The atmosphere was great and that made the story really creepy, but overall, the movie lost me through the plot points. There is a crazy woman, a dead child that wasn’t buried properly, and a weird community that is struggling with ghosts and lost children? The creepy moments relied heavily on the killing of children, but it was a diluted mess towards the midpoint.

Outside of a few creepy moments, the movie turned into a very odd horror movie. I wasn’t sure what was going on towards the third act, and eventually I threw in the towel. Unfortunately, The Women in Black is a boring moving that doesn’t really showcase the power of the story that might be involved with the original novel. I found it boring, and had I not focused on the set design, I wouldn’t have made it through the whole thing. This is a bad movie, and just not worth it, unless you’re a great fan of Radcliffe and in that case, buy the blu ray, it looks incredible.



Remember to leave a comment, to be entered to win a Hellraiser Boxed Set. The winner will be announced at the end of the month.

1 comment:

  1. My conclusion, based off of the movies that I've seen, is that the Harry Potter cast should all just go back to Hogwarts. With the exception of Planet of the Apes, none of them have been involved in exceedingly good movies, excluding, of course, the Harry Potter series itself.

    ReplyDelete