Sunday, September 20, 2015

Elysium Review

I am pretty jaded about a lot of things. However, this weekend I was able to sit down and watch Elysium on blu ray. I’m one of the few that still rents movies from Netflix, and this was definitely one of the options I have been waiting to see for some time. I didn’t know anything about the movie going in, other than it was a science fiction movie and that Matt Damon was in it. That’s all I knew about it.

The story as it goes is a compelling one. The visual design flow of the movie is absolutely fantastic. There’s a lot going for this movie in terms of looks. I love the views. I love the presentation of a dystopian Los Angeles in contrast to the Elysium luxury living element. I loved the clarity of the presentation, and I didn’t get lost in anything.

The movie flows through a major theme of poverty, immigration, and the future. I felt compelled by the story because I am a naturalized American. I was born in Mexico and came to this country for a better life, and in the movie it’s represented in a fashion that is closely held to my heart. It showcases a struggle, and it showcases reality in ways that great media does.

Aside from the themes, we get a good performance from Matt Damon. I loved his working class job, his heroics in hopes of helping himself not only live, but his first love’s child live. I love the juxtaposition created with the rogue agent as well, and the political elements involved were grand too. Overall, the movie had a lot to offer in terms of story, visuals, and continuity.

This movie made a lot more sense in terms of fighting and themes than “The Dark Knight”. I loved the way things moved forward in this and the social class, justice system, and science fiction elements all work like a very good novel. I knew the story before I saw it happen on screen as there’s some predictable moments here. However, I found myself completely enthralled with the movie as a whole. There are so many great elements here, and the end result, is a hero’s tale that is absolute, it’s perfect. I loved it.

Elysium is the best movie I’ve seen in a long time. Thematically it’s brilliant. The acting is good. There is a lot here, especially in terms of fighting, political exploitation, and so much more. There’s layers to this. I don’t know, maybe I just connected with the notion of immigration and health care. Maybe it’s not that great, but I know one thing’s for sure, this is a heady and serious movie if you let it be. Otherwise, it’s an entertaining science fiction movie with lots of tropes you already know, but with a passion for something greater. I loved it. I highly recommend this one. Visually complex, great narrative, and heavy handed at times, I think it’s the best in a long time.

Pick up Elysium on BLU RAY here, It’s a great science fiction picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment